Thursday, September 30, 2010

Into Hospice Care

Hi All,

I'm writing today to say that David has declined significantly in the past 24 hrs. He is in tremendous pain, needs support to walk, is delusional at times and is very slow to process information. We saw his doctor yesterday and determined that it's time to get support for being home, support with meds and home care, a hospital bed and wheelchair, etc. He now needs someone with him 24 hrs a day. There is no way to know if he will continue to decline quickly, or if things will stabilize and he'll have peaceful, awake and aware times in the weeks to come.

Visits are welcomed, and soup, and phone calls. If you want to plan to help with coverage, please let me know- calls would be best for that. 207-338-9999. Thank you and much love to you. Tara

3 comments:

  1. Tara, thank you so much for posting this. You both have been on my mind and heart daily. I'm in DC until Wednesday but will contact you then to see if it makes sense for me to visit and help out for a few days. Do you know anyone else from Boston who might want to drive with me? Please post often so we can all know what's happening. Please do call if you want any listening. Please give David my love. Anne 781-962-6363

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, I second Anne's gratitude. I called this morning and left a message with Steve while you were out. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm planning to drive up with some soup for your fridge and freezer. I'll leave Cumberland first thing, and should hope to roll in around 11. If helpful, i'll stay for a few hours if you need to run some errands. If not, I'll drop the soup in the fridge and be on my way. David, you're in my thoughts. I know the rest of your Pelican sisters and brothers are sending you the warmest of wishes. Be peaceful, and know our thoughts and prayers are right beside you both. 207-838-1305 - if you need anything between now and Tuesday give a call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, is there a number to reach you, or should I just call David's cell? I'd like to check in with you tomorrow. Or you can post an update here about how he's doing and whether visitors are welcome. Thanks -- sending love - Anne -- good to email me, too anne.ellinger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete