Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet stories of David

These stories arrived in the past couple of days.

Dear Family and Friends of David Demere, and most especially Tara,

I have wanted to reach out for many months, but have not really known how.
Finally and maybe too late, or perhaps just on time, I send my blessings and my
thoughts. I loved David so much, all his earthly values and virtues and his
incredible passion for life.

David was one of our most special guests at our wedding 7 years ago last
September. Although he came on his stretcher, his spirit was by far one of the
most vibrant and present of all 140 attendees. Not a single person there
overlooked David’s passion for life and also his enthusiasm for our wedding vows
and our celebration of love. When we got our wedding pictures it took a few
weeks to figure out who was this person skinny dipping off the rock?? It was a
body that looked so strong and vibrant. How could this be a body teeming with
pain, a body that had already overcome a forecast of death? But there was
David, like a Roman God, ready to splash into the cool brackish bliss, choosing
the best that life offers!

I have been carefully following the blogs (Thank you Tara!!) and have so wished
that I had a chance to see David again before his body finally gave way. My
life has not allowed any time to break away, but I have consistently whispered
prayers your way. Since moving down to Portland just over 2 years ago I have
always wished to spend time with David and Tara. We saw David when he passed
thru Portland on trips and stayed nights in our “sleeping nock.” His quick
visits were always special and sweet. I especially loved how he connected with
our children, Owen and Elena, and how he was always ready to roll on the floor
in a good wrestle, even when he wasn’t feeling that strong himself.


Reading the blogs today, I sit at my computer sobbing, all alone. I am struck
by what an incredible family and community David has been a part of and also
part creator. Also, Tara, how strong and clear minded, and beautifully spoken,
and so many things you have been to David thru these times. I wish I could be
there, but I am comforted by all those who have been. Thank you all for taking
such beautiful care of David during these last few years and months! I look
forward to joining you all for the memorial service later this month. We can
all rest well now, knowing that David had a beautiful life and a beautiful
death.


We will all miss him, but never forget his spirit for life!

With Love, Wynne



As I read through your blog, one thing that stuck with me was how you will remember David dancing. I, too, will remember him dancing as he was the first to dance with me at my father's memorial (back brace and all!), and the time my sister and I took care of him in Little Rock.
It was a beautiful day and David wanted to be out in the fresh air. We took a short drive to the local park and he told us to "take me as far as the wheelchair could go". When we got to this point, he said "let me walk for a bit" And so we walked with him a bit. Then he said "Let me climb a bit" so we let him climb. My dance training came in very handy at this point as I became his dance partner going up the mountain. My sister and I tuned in to him so well that all he had to do was reach his hand out for the next step and we were there to support him. At first he said "let me walk to the line of trees". When we reached that point, he said "Let me go further". We walked and stopped until we reached the top of the mountain. He looked at me and said "Scott, we have danced up the side of the mountain!" "Yes, David, we have!" His heart was full of joy that he could go that high and see this great Earth spread out before him. He was happy that he was with 2 people who could lead him safely on this journey, and who could help him gently back down the mountain. He slept soundly that night!

I am attaching some pictures from that journey. Here is David, at the top of the mountain, dancing. This is what I wish to place within his casket - the memory of a great day with a great soul in a weakened body. His spirit shown forth and gave him the strength to spread his wings and fly, even for a short bit.

God Bless.
Scott Crawford
cousin

dancing atop the mountain


- Show quoted text -
Ancient Proverb:
The Lord Smiles to hear me sing,
But he loves me when I dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment